Sunday, March 3, 2019

Chris Gayle clues that he might reverse the ODI cricket retirement decision!

Chris Gayle

Chris Gayle clued that after inflicting another brutal innings on England, he might reverse his decision to retire from one - day international cricket.


Before the drawn series against Eoin Morgan's team, the Windies batsman announced that he would quit international 50-over cricket at the end of the World Cup this summer.

But Gayle was against England in electric form, scoring in four innings for two centuries and two fifties, culminating in a 27-ball 77 in St Lucia's final fixture, a knock with nine sixes.

"We'll just have to wait and see. Maybe I'd say something else on another day. We'll wait for now to see what's going on." said Chris Gayle.

"Captain [ Jason Holder ] said in the final game that when I strike the ball so well, he can't understand how I can announce my retirement. The youngsters have something to feed off." 

Gayle finished the series with 424 runs at an average of 106 with a top score of 162 in Grenada, while he muscled 39 sixes over his four knocks – taking his maximum tally in all forms of international cricket combined with a record of 515.

The Jamaican also revealed his blistering 77 in St Lucia, with the "wrong bat" coming up with Windies passing England's total of 113 in just 12.1 overs.

"I think from a personal point of view this must be my best ODI tournament - but I'm not sure, I'm not a person of statistics so I can't remember a lot of statistics," Gayle said. 

"I know I had a good series, but this one was exceptional - it's fantastic to be able to do it at home. It's also great to average a hundred against England."

"I played in a few T20 series and did n't really get runs [ despite ] putting in the work - I was like ' what's going on? That's my format and why I've been branded the T20 King!"

"I was like ' whoever gets the willow will feel it, ' and fortunately it was at home against England.

"I picked the wrong bat today - so things are going on! 

"I did n't want to rhythm the bowlers and get on top of us.

"Sometimes it can be a bit tricky when you chase a small total, so I said ' let's try to push it over in the first and see if it works - and it did. '

"I'm in a bit of shape as well so I can see the ball better.

"If you put them on the back foot, they're going to forget how good a wicket is to bowl on and play as batters in our hands."


1 comment: